A seasonal soup to delight your tastebuds +
swing you into the holiday spirit
Prep Time: 30 mins
Dec 13, 2018 • By Seamus Mullen
In the spirit of Christmas and all things holiday season, I got busy in the kitchen and created this delicious and festive pumpkin soup. Combining a few of my favorite spices to warm you up from the inside-out (shout out to anyone living in the Northern Hemisphere). The special thing about this soup is the homemade vegetable stock I made with it but if you are a collagen junkie, feel free to sub out the stock with a bone broth. I hope this soup makes it to your seasonal celebrations and wishing you all the happiness and health at this special time of year! Big love, Seamus X
6 cups diced acorn squash (or squash of choice)
2 tbsp chopped fresh ginger
3 cloves garlic
1 cup dried shiitake mushrooms
A sprinkle of pepitas to garnish each soup
1. Heat up 2 tablespoons coconut oil in a pan over dry heat.
2. Add in squash and onions, gently sweat until they start to soften.
3. After 10mins add the garlic, (do this in this sequence so the garlic doesn’t burn).
4. Sweat for 3-5 minutes, then add 1 tbsp of white wine vinegar to deglaze. Then add *vegetable stock.
5. Add 3 tbsp of sea salt. 1 tsp dried turmeric, 3 tsp of five spice (cinnamon, fennel, clove, star anise, white pepper), 2 dashes of cayenne pepper, 1 tsp fresh ground pepper and stir.
6. Simmer for 10 minutes.
7. Remove from heat, blend in a blender adding in 2 tbsp of coconut oil to the mix.
8. Serve and top with a sprinkle of pepetas & any fresh herbs you fancy.
*See vegetable stock recipe here.