Shaved Summer Squash with Line-Caught Tuna
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
July 27, 2016 • By Seamus Mullen
This is one of my favorite simple dishes to make in the height of summer when the gardens and stores are over flowing with summer squash and zucchini. I tend to eat a lot of salads in the summer and I usually make sure there’s a generous amount of vegetables in my salad and some sensible protein.
There’s really no cooking whatsoever that goes into this dish, just a variety of raw summer vegetables, simply prepared. You’ll need a mandoline or slicer adapter on your food processor to cut the veggies as thinly as possible.
12 ounces mixed summer squash, such as small zucchini, yellow squash, and patty pans
4 ounces mixed radishes, such as red, watermelon, and cello
4 ounces best-quality tuna packed in olive oiL
24 sun gold tomatoes, halved
1 Serrano chile
1 cup paper-thin slices raw purple cauliflower
¾ cup extra-virgin olive oil
Juice 4 limes, rinds reserved
Sea salt and black pepper
Chopped fresh dill and cilantro, for serving
1 2-ounce chunk Parmesan cheese
- Cut squash and radishes in to paper-thin rounds. Thinly slice shallots, Serrano chile and cauliflower.
- Flake tuna into large chunks.
- Toss the squash, radishes, tuna, shallots, tomatoes, chile, oil, and lime juice in a large bowl.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide among serving plates and top with the fresh herbs.
- Zest the lime rinds directly on the salad, then shave the Parmesan on top using a vegetable peeler. Serve immediately.