Chilled Melon and Cucumber Soup
Servings: 4 to 6 (Makes 7 Cups)
Prep Time: 25 Minutes
August 22, 2016 • By Seamus Mullen
There’s nothing more refreshing than a chilled summer soup, and as much as I love a tomato gazpacho, one of my favorite summer soups is Santa Claus melon blended with cucumber, garlic, citrus vinegar and extra virgin olive oil.
Try this quick and refreshingly delicious soup for yourself!
¼ cup champagne vinegar
2 garlic cloves, grated with a microplane
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 very large regular cucumbers, peeled, seeded, and diced (about 4 cups)
1 large Santa Claus or honeydew melon, peeled, seeded, and cut into chunks (about 4 cups)
¾ cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
Fresh basil leaves
- Put the vinegar in a blender. Grate the garlic directly into the vinegar with a microplane and add 2 teaspoons salt. Let sit for a few minutes, then add the cucumbers and honeydew.
- Blend on high speed until very smooth, adding a bit of water if needed to get the blender going. Work in batches if necessary.
- With the machine running, add the oil through the feed tube in a steady stream. When it’s completely emulsified, season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Zest the lemon directly into the mixture and whisk in until fully incorporated. Refrigerate until very cold.
- Before serving, stir or blend until smooth again. Divide among serving bowls and drizzle with oil. Tear the basil leaves on top and sprinkle with espelette.